Practice Laughter Yoga at a Comedy Club
What is Laughter Yoga?
Laughter Yoga combines unconditional Laughter with Yogic Breathing (Pranayama). Laughter Yoga uses basic yoga breathing techniques to promote the authentic burst of laughter.
The Benefits of Laughing
- Laughter decreases stress hormones
- Improves our immune system
- Boosts endorphins (the brain chemicals associated with the runner's high)
- Lowers blood pressure
- Lifts depression
- Increases the blood flow to the heart and pumps more oxygen into the blood
- Strengthens artery walls
Can you watch this video and not laugh?
"You don't need a sense of humor to laugh, you don't need to be happy in order to laugh. In fact, when you laugh you develop your sense of humor, you develop the joy within yourself." –Dr. Madan Kataria
How to Practice Laughter Yoga – “Fake it until you make it”
Here’s a Basic Approach:
- Relax: Sit-up straight & keep your chin up to facilitate air flow
- Take a deep breath in and completely exhale to empty your lungs
- Start mimicking the sounds of laughter. Some groups repeat ‘Ha-Ha-Ho-Ho-Ho,’ you can mix it up with “he-he-he.” Be sure to completely empty your lungs.
This exercise can seem incredibly awkward at first (especially if you’re not at a comedy club), but keep going and soon the real laughs will kick-in.
Try to realize that the awkward feeling & weirdness is the very attitude that you're trying to break free from.
What we can learn from Laughter Yoga
Laughter Yoga shows us that even if we’re not in the mood to laugh or even if we don’t find something that funny, we can still laugh.
I challenge you to try these techniques the next time you head out to a local stand-up comedy night or comedy club show.
Now, that doesn't mean you have to hop around in a circle, clapping and chanting! What I am merely suggesting you try is to bring the open aittitude and the intention to laugh that Laughter Yoga teaches.
Don't try too hard -- let go, relax, and have FUN!
- How to do Laughter Yoga - wikiHow
- Laughter Yoga International - A Life Changing Experience
- Laughter Yoga: Relaxing, If a Bit Kooky - NPR
- The Benefits of Laughter - CNN
- Laughter Yoga - Wikipedia